The Judicial Resources Commission will hold a public hearing pursuant to Neb. Rev. Stat. § 24-1204 to determine the following:
- Whether, based on the judicial workload statistics, a judicial vacancy exists in the office of county judge of the 8th Judicial District, due to the retirement of the Honorable Gary G. Washburn, effective May 31, 2012, and make a recommendation to the Supreme Court as to the primary place of office of said vacancy.
- Whether, based on the judicial workload statistics, a judicial vacancy exists in the office of county judge of the 12th Judicial District, due to the retirement of the Honorable Charles Plantz, effective December 31, 2011.
- Whether, based on the judicial workload statistics, a new juvenile judgeship should be created in the Separate Juvenile Court of Douglas County.
The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, June 5, 2012, at 10:00 a.m. central time. The hearing will be held via video conferencing from the Nebraska State Capitol, Room 1507, Lincoln, Nebraska, and will include participation from the following sites:
- Hastings Public Library, Second Floor, 517 West 4th Street, Hastings, Nebraska;
- Omaha State Office Building, 1313 Farnam Street, Room 207, Second Floor, Omaha, Nebraska;
- Educational Service Unit #16, 1221 West 17th Street, Distance Learning Room, North Platte, Nebraska; and
- Panhandle Research & Extension Center, 4502 Avenue I, High Plains Room, Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
The commission makes its determination based on weighted caseloads, adequate access to the courts by litigants, population, judicial duties, travel time and other factors necessary to assure efficiency and service of the court system.
Following the hearing, the commission will make a recommendation to the Legislature of their determination.
Commission members are:
- Supreme Court Justice Michael McCormack, Chairperson
- Riko E. Bishop, Lincoln
- Richard Carter, Bellevue
- Mike Day, Omaha
- Thomas F. Hoarty, Omaha
- Jayne Mann, Aurora
- Wayne J. Mark, Omaha
- Steven F. Mattoon, Sidney
- Patrick R. McDermott, Schuyler
- Robert B. O'Neal, Papillion
- Robert J. Parker, Hastings
- Brian Phares, North Platte
- John E. Samson, Fremont
- Lori Scherer, Beemer
- Amy Schlichting, Lincoln
- Mark M. Sipple, Columbus
- Darlene Starman, Lincoln
Any member of the public is entitled to attend the Nebraska Judicial Resources Commission hearing in Room 1507 of the State Capitol, Lincoln, Nebraska, and present, either orally or in writing, any pertinent information concerning the existence of a judicial vacancy. If anyone wishes to present written material at the hearing, a copy of such material should be furnished to the Chairperson at least one week prior to the hearing.
For special accommodations relating to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please call (402) 471-3730. For persons with hearing impairments, please call the Nebraska Relay System at 711.