1. The employee must be suffering a life-threatening illness or injury resulting in a prolonged absence lasting at least thirty work days during the past six months. An employee may also qualify if his or her child, parent or spouse is suffering from a life-threatening illness or injury resulting in the employee’s prolonged absence of at least thirty work days during the past six months. (Note: This program is not intended for use to address ongoing chronic illness.)
2. The employee must produce satisfactory medical verification.
3. The employee must have completed the original provisional period with the Nebraska Supreme Court.
4. The employee must have exhausted all earned paid leave time including compensatory time, sick leave, and vacation leave.
5. The employee must not have offered anything of value in exchange for the donation.
6. No more than 6 months of donated leave may be received by an employee during a 12-month period.
7. At such a time that maximum medical improvement has been reached and the employee remains unable to return to work, the employee will no longer be eligible for catastrophic leave donations.