OPG Developmental Disabilities Resources

OPG Developmental Disabilities Resources

This section is the hub for people interested in or receiving Developmental Disability services, their legal representatives, and their families.

Governmental Agencies

Governmental agencies paying benefits on behalf of a ward or protected person may be listed as interested parties in the associated guardianship or conservatorship case. For information about where to send documents to government agencies acting as interested parties, consult this list of government agency office addresses.

Life Stages and Resource Guides

Life Stages and Resource Guides

The following are a useful series of guides containing general information and specific resources regarding financial planning, education, support services, legal issues and advocacy for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities. In addition to a Resource Directory for all ages, three separate guides address the following life stages:

Developmental Disabilities: Participant and Family Page

General Information
HCBS Waivers Available for People with Developmental Disabilities - A quick look at the Medicaid HCBS waivers that are available and may be appropriate for persons with Developmental Disabilities.  En Español aquí.

Nebraska Homestead Exemption - A person who is eligible for DD services can receive property tax relief when they own a home. Information from the NE Department of Revenue. If you have questions, call 402-453-8167.

 Nebraska Lifespan Respite Network - Describes Nebraska's respite provider structure, basic information about responsibilities, family caregiver support, and instructions for accessing the orientation.

Participant Guide for Nebraska Medicaid HCBS Waivers - What to expect when you choose to receive services from a Medicaid HCBS waiver. online view  printable (print two-sided) en Español

Participant Guide for Self-Direction - How to work with independent providers.  

What are DD Services?

  • DD Services focus on helping eligible participants live the most independent lives possible. Goals are identified and habilitation is developed to teach participants skills to be employed, live where they want, and access their community. 

  • DD provides funding and oversight of community-based providers.

  • The Division does not provide cash payments or payments for room and board.

What do I Need to Know About Medicaid?  - Information about Medicaid. En Español aqui.

How do I apply for DD services?
Please see our eligibility page.

Wait List
Being eligible does not mean you will receive funding for services right away. DD services are not an entitlement. There is not currently enough funds available for all requests. Once eligible, you will be placed on the wait list by your date of application.

Services will be offered when funding becomes available. Funding is usually offered based on your date of application. You are eligible to receive Service Coordination services while you are on the wait list.

You may be on the registry for a DD waiver while receiving services from a different Home and Community-Based Service (HCBS) Waiver, such as the Aged and Disabled (AD) Waiver.

Level of Care
Your participation is based on your level of care. A state worker will complete an assessment.

Objective Assessment Process (OAP)
A second assessment, the ICAP, is completed to determine your Individual Budget Amount (IBA). You can use this amount to purchase services.  Learn about the process used in the DD Services Assessment & Budgeting Brochure.  En Español aquí.

Planning Services
Your service coordinator helps plan your services. Planning occurs at scheduled meetings.    

Individual Support Plan (ISP) Team

You decide who is on your ISP team. It must include you, your coordinator, and any DD providers you get services from. If you have a guardian, he or she is also on the team. You can invite other family, friends, or organizations who support you.

Individual Support Plan (ISP) Meeting
This meeting is with your ISP team. There are at least two meetings each year. Your "annual ISP" is the main planning meeting. Other meetings discuss your progress toward your goals. If your services and supports are not meeting your needs, any team member can call your coordinator to request a meeting at any time.

Before your annual ISP meeting, your coordinator will talk with you about your needs and what types of services and supports can help you meet your goals.

DHHS Resources
Application for DD services

ACCESSNebraska - One stop for applying for DHHS services in Nebraska. 

Aging and Disabilities Resource Center (Network of Care) (844-843-6364) - Helps aging Nebraskans and Nebraskans with disabilities improve and better coordinate long-term care services where they live.

Applying for DD Services - Instructions on how to complete the DD application on ACCESSNebraska.

Available Services for Teens & Young Adults with Developmental Disabilities - Booklet explaining the transition from school services to adult services. Includes information from the Department of Education, Nebraska VR, and the Division of Developmental Disabilities. Online view  printable (print two-sided) en Español (print two-sided)

DD Agency Provider Directory - Directory of Agency Providers of DD services.

DD Provider ISP Guide - What to expect and how to prepare for a participant's meeting.

DD Service Directory  (en Español) - Full service descriptions including definitions, limits, frequency, duration, provider types, and provider qualifications for DD services under the HCBS Waivers.

DD Services Assessment & Budgeting Brochure  (en Español) - Learn about the process used to assess needs and decide budgets for purchasing DD services.

DD Services Eligibility Brochure  (en Español) - Learn eligibility requirements and what you need to know to apply!

DD Services: Funding to Transition from Educational Services  (en Español)  - Explains funding priority for eligible persons and what this means for graduates.

DD Staff Directory and Office Locations with Service Coordination - Who to contact and offices near you.

Down Syndrome Information - Website, maintained by DHHS Public Health, which offers information to people with Down Syndrome, as well as those who love them.  

FAQs: Developmental Disabilities and Vocational Rehabilitation - Answers about services offered by DD and VR.

Nebraska Lifespan Respite Network - Describes Nebraska's respite provider infrastructure, basic information about responsibilities, family caregiver support, and instructions for accessing the FREE orientation. More information about Lifespan Respite can be found on their website.

Nebraska Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities (402-471-2330) - Advocates for and represents people with developmental disabilities within government. 

Ombudsman's Office - Contact the Ombudsman Program to discuss or seek assistance in resolving a problem, concern, or complaint impacting one or more residents of a long-term care facility. 

Participant Handbook for Nebraska Medicaid HCBS Waivers - Explains what to expect when you choose to receive services from a Medicaid HCBS waiver. Online view printable (print two-sided) en Español

Participant Guide for Self-Direction  (en Español) - How to work with independent providers. 

Providers of Waiver Services   (en Español) - The different types of providers for DD-funded waiver services.

Ready, Set, Go!  (en Español) - Materials and resources to assist young adults with DD to make decisions about supports as they move from high school to adult life. Funding for this project came from the Nebraska Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities.

Services Quick Guide for Nebraska Medicaid HCBS DD Waivers - Overview of DD services under HCBS Waivers. online view printable (print two-sided) en Español

Tangible Services  (en Español) - How to use Assistive Technology, PERS, and Home and Vehicle Modifications.

Transitioning from High School - Explains the process of leaving the educational system entering adult services.

What do I Need to Know About Medicaid? (en Español) - What applicants and participants need to know about Medicaid.

Nebraska Resources:
Aging and Disabilities Resource Center - Resource for aging Nebraskans and Nebraskans with disabilities to improve and better coordinate long-term care services locally.

Answers4Families - Provides information, dialogue, education, and support to Nebraskans with special needs by providing Internet resources.

The Arc of Nebraska (402-475-4407) - Provides advocacy to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.   

​​​ATP (Assistive Technology Partnership) (888-806-6287) - The Assistive Technology Partnership (ATP) is dedicated to helping Nebraskans with disabilities, their families, and professionals obtain assistive technology devices and services.

​​Autism Society of Nebraska - Support Network of people who are working to advocate, educate, and support.

Department of Education - Nebraska Department of Education information specific to Special Education.

Disability Rights Nebraska (800-422-6691) - Working for dignity, equality, and empowerment of all people with disabilities.

Down Syndrome Alliance of the Heartlands (402-991-1800) - Committed to connecting those touched by Down syndrome through education, advocacy, and support. Non-profit agency based in Omaha. Consists of parents, advocates, educators, and medical professionals.

Down Syndrome Association for Families of Nebraska (402-421-1399) - Support group, which provides family networking and new parent support for families with children who are diagnosed with Down syndrome.

Easter Seals Nebraska - Provides services to help ensure all people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to live, learn, work, and play.

First National Bank (402-602-7204) - Provides tax-free accounts (Enable) for people with disabilities.

Hotline for Disability Services (800-742-7594) - Toll-free hotline operated by the Nebraska Department of Education. Provides information about rehabilitation services, transportation, special parking permits, and legal rights. Helps find resources for children and parents.

Independent Living Council (402-438-7979) - Promotes independent living and advocates change to promote independence, inclusion, non-discrimination, and dignity for all people with disabilities in Nebraska. Work for self-determination, equal opportunities, and self-respect. 

League of Human Dignity - A consumer-based nonprofit organization, whose mission is to promote the full integration of people with disabilities. Advocates for needs and rights while providing quality services to help people be independent citizens.

Munroe-Meyer Institute (800-656-3937) - Federally designated University Center of Excellence for Developmental Disabilities Education, Research and Service. Specializes in providing services and support for persons with intellectual, developmental and/or genetic disorders.

Nebraska 211 (211) - Information and referral website hosted by United Way of the Midlands.

Nebraska Autism Spectrum Disorders Network - Committed to providing up-to-date information and training based on current research about autism spectrum disorders. Associated with UNL.

Nebraska Family Support Network (402-345-0791) - Empowers children and families affected by mental, emotional, or behavioral health issues through peer mentoring, education, and advocacy.

Nebraska Legislature - Official site of the Nebraska Unicameral Legislature. Includes information about the current session.

Nebraska Resource and Referral System - Statewide database created with input from Nebraska families, service providers and organizations. 

Nebraska VR - Helps people with disabilities prepare for, find, and keep jobs. Helps businesses recruit, train, and retain employees with disabilities.

OMNI Behavioral Health Training - Joint training initiative with DDD to offer training related to topics of interest and importance to the field of developmental disabilities.

People First of Nebraska (308-530-9209 or 402-559-4892) - State-wide self-advocacy organization run for and by people with disabilities. 

PTI Nebraska (800-284-8520) - Statewide resource for families of children with disabilities or special health care needs. Empowers parents and provides the knowledge to improve education and healthcare outcomes for children. A funding coordinator and housing resource specialist are available.

Special Olympics Nebraska - Non-profit organization that changes lives through the power of sport by encouraging and empowering people with intellectual disabilities, promoting acceptance, and fostering communities of understanding and respect.

Ticket to Work - Source of information for people with disabilities who want to explore competitive employment.

United Cerebral Palsy of Nebraska - Educates, advocates, and provides support services through an affiliate network to ensure a life without limits for people of all ages with a broad range of disabilities and their families. 

National Resources
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) - Promotes progressive policies, sound research, effective practices, and universal human rights for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) - Works to improve the lives of people with disabilities by acting as a convener, connector, and catalyst for change, increasing the political and economic power of people with disabilities

The Administration on Developmental Disabilities (ADD) - Index of US Government Agencies.

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) - Federal agency responsible for the national administration of Medicare and Medicaid.

Center for Parent Information and Resources (CPIR) - Central resource of information and poducts to the community of Parent Training Information (PTI) Centers and the Community Parent Resource Centers (CPRCs).

Disability.gov - US federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide.

Disability Nondiscrimination Law Advisor - US Department of Labor website to help employers determine which Federal disability nondiscrimination laws apply to their business or organization. Also helps recipients of Federal financial assistance understand their responsibilities under these laws.

Dyslexia & Dysgraphia Tips - Study tips for college students with dyslexia and dysgraphia. Includes additional resources as well.

National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities - Provides assistance to local DD Counsels. Support programs that promote self-determination, integration and inclusion for all people in the United States with developmental disabilities. 

National Association of Medical Directors - Bipartisan, nonprofit, professional organization representing leaders of state Medicaid agencies across the country. 

National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services - Promotes and assists state agencies in developing effective, efficient service delivery systems that furnish high-quality supports to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 

National Council on Disability - Independent federal agency which advises the President, Congress, and other federal agencies regarding policies, programs, practices, and procedures that affect people with disabilities.

Quality Mall - Free information about person-centered supports for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Includes positive practices that help people live, work and participate in communities and improve the quality of supports.

Social Security Online - Official Social Security Website.

Social Security Online: The Red Book - Summary guide to employment supports for persons with disabilities.

United Cerebral Palsy - Educates, advocates, and provides support services to ensure a life without limits for people with a spectrum of disabilities. Works to advance the independence, productivity and full citizenship of people with disabilities.

Disability Service Providers

Arc of Nebraska
The Arc of Nebraska advocates for the rights and full participation of all children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Together with their network of members and affiliated chapters, they improve systems of supports and services; connect families; inspire communities and influence public policy. For more information, see https://www.arc-nebraska.org/

Brain Injury Alliance
The BIA-NE is committed to creating a better future for all Nebraskans with brain injuries. Serving the brain injury population means working to secure and develop community-based services, providing support groups and access to pertinent information and medical resources and service referrals. It also means educating professionals who work with children and adults with brain injury. The BIA-NE provides the resources to help give people with brain injuries a chance to rebuild their lives, to restore purposeful living, and to rebuild hope and optimism. More information can be found at http://biane.org/

Community Action
Community Action of Nebraska (CAN) is the state association for Nebraska’s nine Community Action Agencies and provides a voice for those Agencies and the people they serve. Community Action of Nebraska’s mission is to alleviate poverty by enhancing program development, providing technical assistance, and advocating public policy to support all Community Action Agencies in Nebraska. Community Action Agencies in Nebraska provide services and programs designed to meet the local needs of the communities they serve. For more information and a list of services offered, please see https://canhelp.org/who-we-are/

Domesti-PUPS provides therapy dogs, service dogs for persons with disabilities, and trained rescue dogs. Their mission is to improve the quality of life for persons with special needs through the assistance of animals, and to promote awareness through education. More information on Domesti-PUPS, visit http://www.domesti-pups.org​. 

Heartland Family Service
The mission of Heartland Family Service is to strengthen individuals and families in our community through education, counseling, and support services. Founded in 1875, Heartland Family Service serves more than 35,000 individuals of all ages each year from more than 15 locations in east central Nebraska and southwest Iowa. Our 50 programs provide critical human services to the individuals and families who ultimately shape the future of our community in the following focus areas: Child & Family, Counseling & Prevention, and Housing & Financial Stability. More information can be found at http://heartlandfamilyservice.org/

League of Human Dignity
The League of Human Dignity is concerned with the rights and quality of life of people with disabilities. They believe in emphasizing likeness not difference, ability not disability, normality not abnormality, and integration not segregation. The League of Human Dignity works with people who have disabilities to promote independent living and ensure social, economic, and political equality. Please see http://leagueofhumandignity.com/#2 for more information.

Youth Care and Beyond
Youth Care and Beyond supports children, individuals and families in the Omaha community. They specialize services to include individuals who have suffered trauma, have learning or intellectual disabilities or developmental disabilities. Youth Care and Beyond offers specific programs (and residential services if needed) for teens 9-19 and their families in the juvenile justice – child welfare system. They provide in home assistance (and apartment style living services if needed) for children and adults with Autism, Asperger's, Down Syndrome and other developmental disabilities. For further information, see https://www.youthcareandbeyond.org/

To find additional non-profit service providers, see www.communityplatform.us/communityplatform/nam/map

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services protects persons 65 and older, and vulnerable adults (anyone over the age of 18 who has a mental or physical impairment which substantially impairs the person’s ability to care for him or herself). Trained staff, working in cooperation with law enforcement, investigate cases of abuse, neglect, self-neglect, or financial or sexual exploitation involving vulnerable adults. Adult Protective Services workers assist victims and prevent further abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

Adult Protective Services include:

Receiving reports of adult abuse, exploitation, neglect, or self-neglect

Investigating reports of adult abuse, exploitation, or neglect

Case planning, monitoring, and evaluation

Arranging for medical, social, economic, legal, housing, law enforcement or other protective, emergency, or supportive services

APS caseworkers are the first responders to reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults. Report abuse, neglect, or exploitation to Adult Protective Services. To contact APS, please see below.

Within Nebraska, call: (402) 471-6035

Outside Nebraska, call: (800) 254-4202

Nebraska Elder Abuse/Neglect Hotline: (800) 652-1999

Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Wards & protected persons retain important rights even when they reside in a long term care facility. The long-term care ombudsman will advocate for residents (60 and older) of skilled nursing facilities, assisted living, and other adult care facilities. They work to resolve problems of individual residents.

A guardian who has encountered problems with long-term care facilities may contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman at (402) -471-2307. Additional information can be found at: http://dhhs.ne.gov/medicaid/Aging/Pages/ltcombud.aspx 

Veterans Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a wide range of benefits, including disability, education and training, vocational rehabilitation and employment, home loan guaranty, dependent and survivor benefits, medical treatment, prescription drugs, aid and attendance, life insurance, and burial benefits.

Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs
PO Box 95083 Lincoln, NE 68509-5083
Phone: (402) 471-2458
Fax: (402) 742-1142
Email: ndva@nebraska.gov 
Website: https://veterans.nebraska.gov.

Summary description of VA benefits, with contact numbers:
American Legion, 801-326-2380
Disabled American Veterans, 801-326-2375
Veterans of Foreign Wars, 801-326-2386


Mediation is the attempt to help parties in a disagreement to hear one another, to minimize the harm that can come from disagreement, to maximize any area of agreement, and to find a way of preventing the areas of disagreement from interfering with the process of seeking a compromise or mutually agreed outcome. While a mediator may charge a fee comparable to that of an attorney, the mediation process generally takes much less time than moving a case through standard legal channels. While a case in the hands of a lawyer or a court may take months or years to resolve, mediation usually achieves a resolution in a matter of hours. Taking less time means expending less money on hourly fees and costs.

Central Mediation Center:
204 East 25th Street, Suite 5 | P O Box 838 | Kearney, NE 68848-0838
800-203-3452 or 308-237-4692 | info@centralmediationcenter.com | www.centralmediationcenter.com 
Counties Served: Adams, Blaine, Buffalo, Chase, Clay, Custer, Dawson, Dundy, Franklin, Frontier, Furnas, Garfield, Gosper, Greeley, Hall, Hamilton, Harlan, Hayes, Hitchcock, Howard, Kearney, Lincoln, Logan, Loup, McPherson, Merrick, Nuckolls, Perkins, Phelps, Red Willow, Sherman, Thomas, Valley, Webster, Wheeler

Concord Mediation Center:
4225 North 90th Street | Omaha, NE 68134 402-345-1131 | www.concord-center.com
Counties Served: Douglas and Sarpy

The Mediation Center:
Mill Towne Building | 610 J Street, Suite 100 | Lincoln, NE 68508 402-441-5740 | info@themediationcenter.org | www.themediationcenter.org
County Served: Lancaster

Mediation West (formerly Center for Conflict Resolution):
1721 Broadway, Suite 222 | Scottsbluff, NE 69361 800-967-2115 or 308-635-2002 | info@conflictresolutioncenter.com | www.mediationwest.org 
Counties Served: Arthur, Banner, Box Butte, Cheyenne, Dawes, Deuel, Garden, Grant, Hooker, Keith, Kimball, Morrill, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan, Sioux

Nebraska Mediation Center (formerly Nebraska Justice Center):
PO Box 1062 | Fremont, NE 68026-1062 | (402) 753-9415 or 800-774-0346 | nmc@nebraskamediationcenter.com | www.nebraskamediationcenter.com 
Counties Served: Antelope, Boone, Boyd, Brown, Burt, Cedar, Cherry, Colfax, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Dodge, Holt, Keya Paha, Knox, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Rock, Stanton, Thurston, Washington, Wayne Tribes Served: Omaha, Winnebago, Northern Ponca, Santee Sioux

The Resolution Center:
2205 N 6th Street, Suite 11 | Beatrice, NE 68310 800-837-7826 or 402-223-6061 | trc@bvca.net | www.theresolutioncenter.org 
Counties Served: Butler, Cass, Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Polk, Richardson, Saline, Saunders, Seward, Thayer, York

Legal Resources

A guardian may need a lawyer to provide legal advice or to advocate on behalf of the ward. Individuals who are financially eligible can receive legal services through legal aid or legal services programs. In addition, under the Older Americans Act, there are special programs of legal assistance for older people who are “in the greatest social and economic need.” For those not eligible for such legal programs, there are private lawyers who focus on assisting elders or individuals with disabilities. 

Nebraska Legal Aid Services:
Legal Aid of Nebraska
209 S. 19th Street, Suite 200
Omaha, Nebraska 68102 
Phone: 402-348-1069
Legal Assistance: (877) 250-2016
Senior Help Line: (800) 662-1772

Nebraska Bar Association
Customer service (800) 927-0117

National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
1577 Spring Hill Rd., Suite 310
Vienna, VA 22182 Phone: 703-942-5711* 
Fax: 703-563-9504
Email: naela@naela.org 
www.naela.org (click on “Find an Attorney”)

Nebraska Free Legal Answers (NFLA)
​How NFLA works: To determine user eligibility, visit the above website and answer the series of screening questions. Qualified users must be Nebraska residents, 18 years of age or older, meet income eligibility requirements, and cannot be in jail or prison. 

Rx Assistance: Medications, Prescriptions, and More

AARP Pharmacy Services
Provides information on discounted drugs and services for AARP members. Site includes information and applications for MembeRx Choice discount program and Prescription Savings Service, which save an average 19 percent on most pharmacy drugs.

Advanced Diabetes Supply
Provides diabetes testing supplies nationwide, along with help, guidance and resources for clients. Offers home delivery anywhere in the country.

Fill out online questionnaires in minutes to find programs for people age 55 and older that may pay some costs of prescription drugs, health care, utilities and more.

Directory of Prescription Drug Patient Assistance Programs
Maintains a searchable database of dozens of pharmaceutical companies’ patient assistance programs. Search by Member Company, program name, drug name, or drug and program.

Licensed Canadian pharmacists fill prescriptions written by U.S. physicians. Costs substantially less than U.S. pharmacies.

Drug Assistant
A software system used by hospitals, clinics and patient advocates to access discount medications for their indigent patients.

A comprehensive database that provides information, news alerts, drug recalls, side effects, and pending litigation associated with various drugs and their manufacturers about potentially dangerous drugs currently on the market or previously available worldwide.

Offers prescription drugs at up to 30 percent savings on medicines not covered by your insurance.

A comprehensive resource featuring information on various medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, and those currently available or previously distributed worldwide. Site is not affiliated with any pharmaceutical companies or drug manufacturers.

Automated, online tool for physicians and healthcare providers to obtain free prescription drugs for indigent patients.

Liberty Medical
The nation's leading direct-to-consumer Medicare provider of diabetes testing supplies and diabetes management products. Also provides direct-to-home delivery of liquid respiratory medications and supplies and other prescription medications.

Low-income Medicare enrollees pay $12 for a 30-day supply of any Eli Lilly prescription drug dispensed at a pharmacy, including Evista, Humulin, Humalog, Prozac, Sarafem and Zyprexa. Save an average of $600 a year per medication for chronic conditions.

MedData Services Prescription Assistance Program
Program provides doctors and patients with information needed to apply for free medications.

Medicare: Prescription Drug Assistance Programs
Offers information on public and private programs that provide discounted or free medication, as well as Medicare health plans that include prescription coverage. Search for information by geographic area.

Medicine Program
A volunteer organization dedicated to helping people find patient assistance programs.

National Association of Counties (NACo) Rx Program
A free Prescription Discount Program. This program will save you an average of 24% off the retail price of prescription medications and can be used at 68,000 pharmacies nationwide. Visit the website to enroll or call 1-877-321-2651

Provides information about patient assistance programs, searchable by particular drugs or by individual programs. Also offers Pharmaceutical Discount Card Comparison, applications to some programs, and more.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance
Brings together the nation's pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers, patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines they need through the public or private program that's right for them. PAP offers a single point of access to more than 275 public and private patient assistance programs, including more than 150 programs offered by pharmaceutical companies.

Pfizer Helpful Answers
A comprehensive savings program for people without prescription drug coverage. Can help you find a prescription savings program that is right for you.

Compares prescription drug prices for more than 1,000 medications. Also provides pharmacy ratings and shipping fees so you can compare total costs.

Planet Drugs Direct
Fully accredited Canadian pharmacy and international pharmacies fill prescriptions and provide other medications at substantial discounts.

Helps physicians and patient advocates obtain, apply for or track requests for no-cost medications for patients who are unable to afford them and do not have access to prescription insurance or government-funded programs. Consumers can find information about prescription assistance programs, drugs, and pharmaceutical companies’ products and services.

Together Rx.com
Eligible Medicare enrollees can have free memberships to this prescription savings program, which provides up to 40 percent savings on more than 150 medicines, including Augmentin, Avandia, Beconase, Coumadin, Diovan, Flexeril, Flonase, Glucophage, Glucovance, Haldol, Imitrex, Lescol, Nexium, Prilosec, Relafen, Retrovir, Serevent, Zofran and Zomig.

Universal Drugstore
Pharmacy is located in central Canada and is regulated closely by Health Canada and provincial pharmacy regulators. All partner pharmacies are duly licensed by a qualified government regulatory body where they operate. Prescriptions will only be filled in a reputable licensed facility.

We Care Medical Mall
Helps its customers obtain free medications. Program charges a one-time processing fee for each medication.

A mail service pharmacy that provides WellpartnerPLUS discount prices that can save uninsured customers up to 20% or more on prescriptions. Wellpartner serves uninsured individual customers, members of health plans, nonprofit hospitals, federally qualified health centers, and other customers. The WellpartnerPLUS program is open to everyone in the U.S. without prescription drug coverage, regardless of age or income, and there are no annual or monthly fees or discount cards.

For more information on RX assistance, please visit: http://nebraska.networkofcare.org/aging/links/national.aspx?id=38

Assistive Devices

The following database lists more than 21,000 currently available products from more than 8,000 companies. The database also offers information on non-commercial prototypes, customized and one-of-a-kind products, and do-it-yourself designs. To find specific products for children or parents with disabilities, we recommend that you use the Advanced Search by Keyword below. Note: Many assistive devices are now covered by Medicaid or Medi-Cal. Please visit http://nebraska.networkofcare.org/aging/assistive/index.aspx for a list of devices.

Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call.


The following website contains more than 30,000 articles, fact sheets and reports produced by leading organizations in the fields of healthy aging, caregiving, disabilities, Alzheimer’s and dementia, alternative treatments, Medicare, financial planning, and more. Visit the following website to view health topics by category, medications, medical tests, interactive tools, symptom checker, and many other resources. See http://nebraska.networkofcare.org/aging/library/index.aspx to access the library.

Find Services

To search your area's comprehensive directory to find services related to aging, disabilities, caregiving, Alzheimer's, and more, please visit the following website: http://nebraska.networkofcare.org/aging/services/index.aspx

Network of Care

For additional resources and services relating to disability services, visit http://www.networkofcare.org/splash.aspx. Select a Network of Care on the left, select your state, then your region determined by your county of residence.

The websites found on the Network of Care are resources for individuals, families and agencies concerned with various issues. They provide information about services, laws, and related news, as well as communication tools and other features. Regardless of where you begin your search for assistance with diverse issues, the Network of Care helps you find what you need – it helps ensure that there is "No Wrong Door" for those who need services.

Nebraska’s Money Follows the Person Project

Freedom to Choose
Are you, or a loved one, residing in a long-term care facility such as a nursing home or intermediate care facility (ICF/MR)?

  • Have you considered returning to your family home, an apartment, or a community-based small group home?

  • Would you prefer more independence and the freedom to make meaningful choices about your healthcare needs and daily activities?

Thousands of individuals across the country, through the efforts of Money Follows the Person and other programs, have successfully transitioned from an institutional setting to the community. Depending upon your specific needs – whether you are aged, have a physical or developmental disability, or a traumatic brain injury – supportive services such as the following help people live successfully in community-based settings:

  • Home Care/Chore Services

  • Home-Delivered Meals

  • Adult Day Health Care

  • Nutrition Services Independence Skills Building

  • Personal Emergency Response System

  • Transportation (Non-medical and medical)

  • Assistive Technology and Home Modification

  • Home Again

  • Respite

  • Home Health

  • Habilitation Services

  • Team Behavioral Consultation

  • Child Day Services

Nebraska’s Money Follows the Person project can provide you with information about these supportive services and direct you to the appropriate waiver agency which will help you determine your level of needs and the services you may require. Certain eligibility requirements do apply, but the program provides outreach, education, and referral information to all those who are interested in community-based services.

If you, a loved one, or a friend prefer a community-based setting as an alternative to a facility-based setting, call Nebraska’s Money Follows the Person.

Contact Us:
Phone Number:
1-800-358-8802 Ext. 2308 or 1-402-471-2308
Mailing Address:
Nebraska Money Follows the Person
Division of Medicaid and Long Term Care
Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026

Home and Community Services Aged and Disabled Waiver

What is the Aged & Disabled Waiver?
This is a program that offers an array of services to support people in their homes.

Who may need this program?

Individuals of all ages who:

  • Are eligible for Medicaid and have needs at nursing facility level of care

  • Want to live at home rather than a nursing facility

  • Can be served safely at home

What services may be available through the Aged & Disabled Waiver?
Some of the funded services include:

What is done to ensure the safety and well-being of individuals served by this program?
The Nebraska Medicaid & Long Term Care Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waivers Unit utilizes a Quality Improvement System to ensure the health and well-being of clients through continuous, client-focused monitoring and improvement.

  • The Quality Improvement System is guided by   key principles and defined roles and functions.

  • Quality Council advises the HCBS Waivers Unit on strategies to improve all aspects of the Quality Improvement System and reviews progress on strategies.

  • A HCBS Waiver Unit Quality Improvement Subcommittee composed of DHHS staff, representatives from Local Level Services Coordination Agencies and representatives from the Quality Council, reviews Waiver performance measure data and makes recommendations for changes that may lead to systemic improvement in the quality of services, as well as recommendations related to remediation efforts.

  • Processes are used to measure compliance,   CMS assurances, client outcomes and utilization.

Contact someone who can answer your questions about the services in the Aged & Disabled Waiver about:

What does it mean for me to “be eligible for the waiver”?
To be eligible, you must:

  • Be financially eligible for Medicaid.

  • Have physical and health needs which require services similar to those provided by a nursing facility (see the next question also).

  • Have an individualized plan of services and supports that will keep you safe in your home.

OK, so what does it mean for me to “meet nursing facility level of care”?
Nursing facility level of care means you have needs which require you to receive services similar to those provided to individuals who live in a nursing home. For example, you may need assistance with everyday tasks such as getting dressed, taking a bath or shower, eating, or walking safely. A few examples of other areas considered are how much help you need to take medications, any memory problems or health conditions you may have and how they are managed. Persons who apply for Medicaid Waiver are assessed to see if their needs are the same as those of people who live in a nursing home.

I earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but my child has a physical disability and we could really use the services of the waiver. Can you help?
There is an exception so that parent’s income is not counted for children served by the waiver. Contact your local DHHS office to begin the Medicaid application process, and be sure to say you want your child assessed to determine if he qualifies for the waiver.

How many hours in the day can I have help?
Each person’s needs are different; there is not a set number of hours of assistance per day from the waiver. You and your Services Coordinator will work together on a plan of services that will meet your needs and keep you safe at home.

I am an adult living in my own apartment. If I qualify for the waiver, who will I get to help me in my home? Who comes in to clean and do laundry? Who comes and helps me while I take a bath?
First, an assessment is completed to determine what kind of help you need to stay safely in your home. Next, staff from the waiver program will be able to connect you with a choice of providers to help you in your home. You choose who provides services for you and when they work for you. Some providers are agencies. Other providers are self-employed and do not work for an agency. If you know someone that you want to work for you as your provider, refer the person to the waiver staff.

Decision Making

Finding the Right Fit: Decision-Making Supports and Guardianship is a free online training designed to assist individuals in exploring ways to help someone who may need assistance in making decisions with informal supports, legal options, and/or adult guardianship.


The Department of Health and Human Services has compiled this roster of long term care facilities in Nebraska for those needing assistance finding long term residential care for a ward.

General Resources

Nebraska Resource and Referral System generates a list of resources based on location, age group, and provider.