OPG Financial Resources

OPG Financial Resources

This section includes a list of financial resources that includes:

AccessNebraska (used to apply for a variety of Economic Assistance Programs)


ACCESSNebraska is a convenient, online way to apply for the following Nebraska Medicaid and Economic Assistance programs:

  • Medicaid

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

  • Aid to Dependent Children (ADC)

  • Aid to Aged, Blind and Disabled (AABD) Payment

  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

  • State Disability Program

  • Child Care Subsidy

  • Refugee Resettlement Program

  • Social Services for the Aged and Disabled (SSAD)

  • CHIP (Children's Health Insurance)

For more information about any of the programs above, visit the Department of Health and Human Services’ website www.dhhs.ne.gov and search for the program name.

(855) 632-7633
In Lincoln: (402) 473-7000
In Omaha: (402) 595-1178

Economic Assistance:
(800) 383-4278
In Lincoln: (402) 323-3900
In Omaha: (402) 595 1258
DHHS Customer Service Center Open 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday



You have the right:

  • To ask for financial assistance from the program of your choice.

  • To expect the Department of Health and Human Services to promptly accept a request from you or someone you choose to act responsibly for you, in person, by mail, or by telephone. You may also be helped in various aspects of application or determination of eligibility by the person of your choice. This person may represent you in any agency contact you wish.

  • To have the assistance programs explained to you by the worker.

  • To receive Medical Assistance without a separate application if you are eligible for financial assistance.

  • To request an appeal hearing if you disagree with any action of the Department of Health and Human Services.

  • To have your Civil Rights upheld.

You have the responsibility:

  • To provide complete and accurate information.

  • To ask questions if you do not understand something about the programs.

  • To report to the Department of Health and Human Services within 10 days by phone, in person, or by mail any changes in the information provided in the determination of your eligibility for assistance.

  • To cooperate with the Child Support Enforcement Unit if you are applying for Medical Assistance for a dependent child.

  • To pay Medical Copayments if you are notified they are required.

If you intentionally provide false information or withhold information, you may be subject to prosecution for fraud under the laws of Nebraska.

If you have further questions contact your local office of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Medicaid Customer Service Center
Toll Free: 855-632-7633
Lincoln Local Calls: 402-473-7000
Omaha Local Calls: 402-595-1178
TTY: 402-471-7256
Apply Online at:

Medical Assistance is a statewide program through which medical care and services may be provided for low-income Nebraskans. Medical Assistance is sometimes called Medicaid.

Who may be eligible for Medicaid?
You may be eligible if you are:

  • 65 years of age or older

  • An individual under 65 years of age who has a disability, or is visually impaired according to Social Security guidelines.

  • An individual 18 years of age or younger.

  • A dependent child who meets the eligibility requirements of the Aid to Dependent Children Program.

Where do I apply?
You may apply for Medical Assistance at the Department of Health and Human Services Office closest to where you live. You may also be asked to apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at the Social Security Office.

What type of care is available under Medical Assistance?
The following medical services are available:

  • Hospital care and doctor visits.

  • Dental care, eye care, speech, hearing and physical therapy.

  • Laboratory and x-ray therapy.

  • Nursing home care.

  • Home health care services.

  • Prescribed drugs, medical equipment and health aids.

  • Care in institutions for mental diseases if person is 20 years of age or younger or 65 years of age or older.

  • Regular health checks for children.

  • Family Planning.

What resources may I have and be eligible to receive Medical Assistance?

  • The home in which you reside

  • One motor vehicle.

  • Property you use to operate a trade or business. For example, land, machinery, and equipment.

  • Irrevocable burial fund.

  • Resources, in addition to the above, which do not exceed:

  • $4,000 for one member family

  • $6,000 for two member family

  • $25 for each additional family member

Children age 18 and younger and eligible pregnant women are not subject to a resource test.

May I dispose of a resource by giving it away or selling it for less than fair market value?
If you give away your home or other resources, you may be giving away a resource which may be used for support. Therefore, you may be found ineligible for Medical Assistance.

May I have income and still be eligible?
Yes, provided you meet all other eligibility requirements and your income does not meet your basic living and medical needs according to eligibility guidelines. You may be required to spend a portion of your income on medical expenses, and show proof of the medical needs.

How long must I live in Nebraska in order to be eligible for Medical Assistance?
Your legal residence must be in Nebraska at the time you apply for Medical Assistance.

DHHS Offices Open to the Public for Economic Assistance and Medicaid/CHIP Services:
People may talk with DHHS staff about Economic Assistance and Medicaid/Children’s Health Information Program (CHIP) services by visiting a local office or calling an ACCESSNebraska toll-free Customer Service Center. People are encouraged to apply for services online through the ACCESSNebraska website

Call an ACCESSNebraska Customer Service Center, toll-free, for information or questions:

Medical Eligibility Customer Service Contact:
Call: (855) 632-7633
In Lincoln: (402) 473-7000
In Omaha: (402) 595-1178
8:00 am - 5:00 pm M-F
TDD: (402) 471-7256

Economic Assistance Customer Service Contact:
Call (800) 383-4278
In Lincoln: (402) 323-3900
In Omaha: (402) 595-1258
8:00 am - 5:00 pm M-F
TDD: (402) 471-7256

Developmental Disabilities Customer Service Contact:
Call (877) 667-6266
In Lincoln: (402) 471-8501
8:00 am - 5:00 pm M-F
TDD: (402) 471-7256

See the following website for office options: http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/localoffices.aspx

AccessNebraska Kiosk Locations

The following DHHS offices have Kiosks (computers for public use) to apply for Economic Assistance:

Western Service Area

Center: 309 Bazile St.
Chadron: 1033 East 3rd
Gering: 1600 10th St.
Lexington: 200 West 7th St. Suite 1
Lexington: 1501 Plum Creek Pkwy. Suite 4
North Platte: Craft State Office Building, 200 South Silber
Ogallala: 201 East 5th St.
Sidney: 1000 10th Ave (Cheyenne County Courthouse)
Scottsbluff: 250114 Skyport Dr.

Central Service Area

Broken Bow: 2475 South E St.
Grand Island: 208 N. Pine
Grand Island: 116 S. Pine
Grand Island: 2300 West Capital Ave.
Hastings: 300 N. St. Joseph
Kearney: 24 West 16th St.
Ord: 801 S St. Suite 2

Northern Service Area

Ainsworth: 644 East 4th St.
Columbus: 2365 39th St.
Dakota City: 1401 Pine
Fremont: 1959 E. Military Ave
Fremont: 839 S. Broad
Norfolk: 209 N. 5th St.
O’Neill: 128 N. 6th
Pender: 415 Main St.

Eastern Service Area

Omaha: 1215 S. 42nd St
Omaha: 1500 N. 24th St, Suite 102
Omaha: 1313 Farnam
Omaha: 5211 S. 31 St
Papillion: 1261 Golden Gate Dr.

Southeast Service Area

Auburn: 1908 O St.
Beatrice: 3000 Lincoln Ave.
Falls City: 1700 Stone
Lincoln: 1050 N St.
Nebraska City: 917 Wildwood, Suite A
York: 824 Lincoln Ave.

For more information on the locations of Kiosks, please visit: http://dhhs.ne.gov/children_family_services/AccessNebraska/Documents/kiosks.pdf

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Please visit: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm for SSI eligibility requirements.

Veterans Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a wide range of benefits, including disability, education and training, vocational rehabilitation and employment, home loan guaranty, dependent and survivor benefits, medical treatment, prescription drugs, aid and attendance, life insurance, and burial benefits.

Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs
PO Box 95083 Lincoln, NE 68509-5083
Phone: (402) 471-2458
Fax: (402) 742-1142
Email: ndva@nebraska.gov 
Website: https://veterans.nebraska.gov.

American Legion, 801-326-2380
Disabled American Veterans, 801-326-2375
Veterans of Foreign Wars, 801-326-2386

Legal Resources

A guardian may need a lawyer to provide legal advice or to advocate on behalf of the ward. Individuals who are financially eligible can receive legal services through legal aid or legal services programs. In addition, under the Older Americans Act, there are special programs of legal assistance for older people who are “in the greatest social and economic need.” For those not eligible for such legal programs, there are private lawyers who focus on assisting elders or individuals with disabilities. 

Nebraska Legal Aid Services
Legal Aid of Nebraska
209 S. 19th Street, Suite 200
Omaha, Nebraska 68102 
Phone: 402-348-1069
Legal Assistance: (877) 250-2016
Senior Help Line: (800) 662-1772

Nebraska Bar Association
Customer service (800) 927-0117

National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
1577 Spring Hill Rd., Suite 310
Vienna, VA 22182 Phone: 703-942-5711* 
Fax: 703-563-9504
Email: naela@naela.org 
www.naela.org (click on “Find an Attorney”)

Nebraska Free Legal Answers (NFLA)
​How NFLA works: To determine user eligibility, visit the above website and answer the series of screening questions. Qualified users must be Nebraska residents, 18 years of age or older, meet income eligibility requirements, and cannot be in jail or prison. 

RX Assistance: Medications, Prescriptions, and More

For information on prescription assistance, visit http://nebraska.networkofcare.org/aging/links/national.aspx?id=38 

Child Support Enforcement

Child Support Enforcement (CSE) is a family-first program intended to ensure families self-sufficiency. The program goals are to ensure that children have the financial and medical support of both their parents; to foster responsible behavior towards children and to emphasize that children need both parents involved in their lives. 

What Services Does Child Support Enforcement Provide?

  • Locating parents;

  • Establishing paternity;

  • Establishing and modifying child or medical support orders; and 

  • Enforcing child, spousal and medical support orders.

Who can apply for Child Support Services? 

  • Custodial parent;       

  • Non-custodial parent;

  • Legal guardian; and 

  • Child.

If you are a custodial parent and are receiving assistance under the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program (which replaced the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program) or Foster Care program, you automatically receive Child Support Enforcement services.

If you are not receiving any state or federal assistance and want to receive Child Support services, you will need to complete an application.

To Apply for Child Support Services:
Complete the Child Support Application, or
Contact the Nebraska Child Support Customer Service Center at
1-877-631-9973, Option 2, to request a paper application.

Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

What is CSFP?

CSFP is a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) program which provides foods purchased and distributed by the USDA. 

To see if you meet the federal and state guidelines for the Program bring:

  • Proof of income (i.e. bank statement or social security letter)

  • Birth certificates (If birth certificate is unavailable, some document verifying age must be provided)

  • Proof of residence -- either a letter post marked within the last 30 days, or a utility bill with date and address on it.

  • Proof of lawful immigration status (i.e. permanent resident card)

To find out if you are eligible, contact the agencies listed below:

Blue Valley Community Action Partnership  -- Serving the following counties: Butler, Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee, Polk, Richardson, Saline, Seward, Thayer, York

Central Nebraska Community Services -- Serving the following counties: Blaine, Boone, Boyd, Brown, Cherry (Eastern), Colfax, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Hall, Hamilton, Holt, Howard, Keya Paha, Loup, Merrick, Nance, Platte, Rock, Sherman, Valley, Wheeler

Northeast Nebraska Community Action Partnership -- Serving the following counties: Antelope, Burt, Cedar, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Knox, Madison, Pierce, Stanton, Thurston, Wayne

Eastern Nebraska Community Action Partnership -- Serving the following counties: Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy, Washington

Indian Center, Inc. -- Serving the following counties: Cass, Lancaster, Otoe, Saunders

Community Action Partnership of Mid-NE-- Serving the following counties: Adams, Buffalo, Chase, Clay, Dawson, Dundy, Franklin, Furnas, Frontier, Gosper, Harlan, Hayes, Hitchcock, Kearney, Keith, Lincoln, Nuckolls, Perkins, Phelps, Red Willow, Webster

Community Action Partnership of Western Nebraska -- Serving the following counties: Banner, Cheyenne, Deuel, Garden, Kimball, Morrill, Scotts Bluff

Western Community Health Resources -- Serving the following counties: Box Butte, Cherry (west), Dawes, Sheridan, Sioux

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance helps with money and/or services for needy children and other household members when there’s an emergency situation. The program helps when the situation is threatening to the health or well-being of an eligible child and family. To be eligible for emergency assistance a family must have gross countable income less than the following:

Family Size






















Payment may be made for:

  • Rent or mortgage payments,

  • Home furnishings,

  • Emergency non-food items, such as toilet paper and cleaning supplies,

  • Emergency food,

  • Emergency clothing,

  • Moving costs,

  • Transportation,

  • Emergency special diets,

  • Medical payments, or

  • Emergency telephone installation.

In most instances, Emergency Assistance payments will be sent to the provider of the service.

For more information, find the phone number of the nearest HHS office.

Employment First

Employment First is Nebraska's welfare reform program which helps families achieve economic self-sufficiency through job training, education, and employment preparation. Employment First assists people through the transition from welfare to the workforce.

In 1993, Gov. Ben Nelson appointed the Governor's Task Force on Welfare Reform. This group developed the framework for legislation that was passed in 1994. The former Department of Social Services (now the Department of Health and Human Services) was authorized to request federal waivers to implement the state's welfare reform. Waivers were obtained and in 1995 the Legislature passed LB 445.

On November 1, 1995, Employment First pilot projects began in Lancaster, Adams, Clay, Nuckolls, and Webster counties. For the purpose of evaluation, everyone who received an Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) cash payment and was able to work in Adams, Clay, Nuckolls, and Webster counties was subject to the Employment First provisions. Half of Lancaster County participants were subject to Employment First provisions and the other half received benefits as currently provided by the Aid to Dependent Children and Job Support program. The program went statewide on January 1, 1998.

Self-Sufficiency Contract
Under Employment First, the person and his/her case manager develop what's called a self-sufficiency contract. The contract outlines the activities, services and responsibilities of the person and the State so that the person can achieve economic self-sufficiency.

Transitional Assistance
Once an person is employed and has received cash assistance for at least three out of the last six months, the family is offered continued Medicaid coverage and child care subsidy payments. The Medicaid coverage is available to the family for up to12 months if the family's income doesn't exceed 185% of the federal poverty level. If the family's income is between 100% and 185% of the federal poverty level, the family may be required to pay a monthly premium that doesn't exceed 3% of the family income. Child care is available to the family if their income doesn't exceed 185% of the federal poverty level. The family is required to pay a portion of the child care costs based upon a sliding fee scale; the fee must not be more than 20% of the family income.

For more information, contact:

Samuel Malson, TANF Program Manager
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Children and Family Services
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
Phone: (402) 471-9404
e-mail: samuel.malson@nebraska.gov

Every Woman Matters Program

Every Woman Matters (EWM) is a program that can help women get health check-ups. EWM may pay for exams based on health history and program guidelines. For a list of the services EWM may provide, please see: http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Every-Woman-Matters.aspx. To access the enrollment questionaire, visit: https://cip-dhhs.ne.gov/redcap/surveys/?s=8XRRLKTPYR.

Rental Housing Search

Rental housing is now listed on a new, free, bilingual website at www.housing.ne.gov. Users can locate available housing that best fits individual needs. Users can also easily search for housing using a wide variety of search criteria including:

  • Number of bedrooms and bathrooms
  • Rent amount
  • Whether or not the rent is income-based
  • Accessibility features
  • Acceptance of rental subsidy
  • Proximity to public transportation
  • Security deposit amount, and many others

For individuals who do not have access to the internet or need further assistance, this service is supported by a bilingual call center (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, M-F). Call toll free at 1-877-428-8844.

Managing Someone Else's Money

The guides on this site will help you understand your role as a financial caregiver, also called a fiduciary. Each guide explains your responsibilities as a fiduciary, how to spot financial exploitation, and avoid scams. Each guide also includes a “Where to go for help” section with a list of relevant resources. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/consumer-tools/managing-someone-elses-money/